Events and Announcements
The library will have the following extended and regular hours during finals week:
- Friday, December 7: 8 am to 6 pm
- Saturday, December 8: 10 am to 6 pm
- Monday, December 10: 8 am to 12 am (midnight)
- Tuesday, December 11: 8 am to 12 am (midnight)
- Wednesday, December 12: 8 am to 10 pm
- Thursday, December 13: 8 am to 10 pm
The library will be closed for winter break from December 14 through January 21, and
will reopen at 8 am on Tuesday, January 22, 2019. Have a wonderful break!
- Study-a-Thon Returns: Are you ready to study for finals? The AHC Library, Math Center, and ARC will be
hosting Study-a-Thon again this year! The dates and times of Study-a-Thon for the
AHC Library (Santa Maria campus) are Wednesday and Thursday, December 5 and 6, from 6 pm to 12 am, Friday, December 7, from 3 pm - 6 pm, Saturday, December 8, from 3 pm - 6 pm, Monday, December 10, from 6 pm - 12 am, and Tuesday, December 11, from 6 pm - 12 am. There will be extended hours, tutors, and snacks.
- At the LVC campus library, Study-a-Thon will take place on Wednesday and Thursday, December 5 and 6, from 6 pm - 9 pm, Monday, December 10, from 6 pm - 9 pm, and Tuesday, December 11, from 6 pm - 9 pm.
- LBRY 170 Class: Do you want to become a better researcher? Sign up for LBRY 170 (Library Research
Methods) this spring. This online class is 2 units and will cover the basics of college-level
research. LBRY 170 is CRN 41669.
- Makerspace in the Library! The first and third Wednesdays of the month, the makerspace returns! From 1-4 pm,
come to the AHC Library lobby (Santa Maria campus) and receive assistance with the
project. After 4 pm, materials will remain out till closing (10 pm). All supplies
will be provided and this is completely free and open to all! The makerspace themes
for this fall semester tentatively include make your own poetry, books, sewable electronics,
books, painted rocks, and cards.
- Friends of the Library Book Club: Allan Hancock College Friends of the Library invites all staff and faculty to participate
in timely discussions, develop relationships with peers and mentors, gain a fresh
perspective, and re-energize as a team, all through a monthly Book Club! We will be
reading a variety of genres to include a mix of fiction and non-fiction. Our next meeting will be Wednesday, December 12, from 12-1pm in L-337. We will be discussing the book Educated: A Memoir by Tara Westover. The next book club meeting will be on Wednesday, January 23, from
12-1 pm (in L-337) and we will be discussing Beloved by Toni Morrison. The February book pick is Hyperbole and a Half, by Allie Brosh (meeting date TBA). This opportunity can earn you Professional Development
hours. Please contact Susie Kopecky at ext 3453 or Vickey Smith at ext 3492 for more
- OER Drop-In Hours: AHC faculty - Do you have questions about Open Educational Resources (OERs)? Come
by the Santa Maria campus library and we can assist you. Drop by the library any time
between 1-3 pm on Tuesdays and a librarian will assist you.
- Welcome to a new semester, and a brand new offering from your library. You can now enjoy complimentary access to the New York Times digital content and the Wall Street Journal digital content with unlimited access to articles, news, videos and multimedia*.
To set up your New York Times account for the first time, you must be on our campus
internet network. Click on the image below, and follow the steps as directed on the
To set up your Wall Street Journal account for the first time, students, faculty and staff can activate their WSJ memberships via this URL:
If you are having trouble creating an account, or have any questions—please stop by
the library reference desk and we would be happy to help.
*ask the library about restrictions including crosswords and date ranges
Top of Page